HOME       ABOUT NFED       OUR BLOGS

Thursday 4 August 2016

I came, I talked, I conquered

James Willis explains how ICS has helped him to develop public-speaking skills


Human rights: team leader Emmanuel telling Savelugu students about their rights.
I’ll begin with a quick overview. My name is James and I'm terrified of public speaking.

One of the main principles of ICS and International Service is Personal and Professional Development. Even now, just six short weeks in, I can say that I have achieved this goal. Personal development for me was being able to conquer a task or challenge that gave me great trouble throughout the past, and for me, that was public speaking.

Let me explain.

During our ICS assessment day for International Service I had to present to a group of potential volunteers – as well as the assessors – on a topic I was passionate about. This could be anything in the world. I chose to present on my love of photography and how I developed this hobby. The room couldn't have had more than 10 or 11 people in it, yet when I stood up to present, I was shaking, nervous, jittery and incredibly flustered. Thankfully I was able to do what was needed and I passed (obviously).

So when I was told by my team leaders that it was my group’s week to present something from the Active Citizenship pack, (a guide given to every volunteer explaining various issues that affect ICS projects globally), I thought now would be the perfect time to challenge myself to do something different.

I could have presented to our small team, or just interviewed some of the locals on a subject. But for me that wouldn't have been a challenge, and that’s why I came to Ghana.

Instead of hiding in the office, my colleague and I wrote a lesson plan and approached the local high school, with the idea of educating teenagers on their human rights and specifically their rights as a child under the UN Convention on the Rights of a Child. It was all planned out, all my colleagues knew their jobs and the subject they had to talk about. The only thing left was to put the plan into action.
Talents: volunteers Frank and Jess with a group talking about their right to education.

This was where the nerves kicked in. I started shaking and it wasn't until I stepped up and started talking that I realised it was no big deal, that I was scared over nothing. Once the afternoon was over, the kids seemed to have learned something new, I’d learned something new about myself, and my colleagues had enjoyed the activities.

My time with International Service so far has been an amazing adventure and I’ve learned a lot, but for me, one afternoon in a school with 70 teenagers has helped more than I could have imagined. Throughout our training, it is emphasised that we will grow and change as people and professionals. Initially I thought of this as sales pitch – just a way to draw us all in.

But I've conquered a fear, and a fear I didn't think I would ever be able to beat. For that alone, the ICS experience has already been worth every second. And that’s before you factor in the lifelong friends, the business skills, the Dagbani language, the culture and the knowledge gained from it all.

Here’s to six more amazing weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment