HOME       ABOUT NFED       OUR BLOGS

Monday 21 November 2016

What I hear, see, smell, taste and feel

What I hear; motor bikes rumbling, babies crying and the laughter of a group of men who are having a jolly at the NPP shelter.
What I see; gutters filled with rubbish and waste, the streets scattered with goats, sheep, chickens and the odd child asking for toffee.
What I smell; the unpleasant odder from the open sewer, and the toxic fumes leaking from the vehicles.
What I taste; the dust which is carried in the air.
What I feel; the uneven ground under my feet, the small but needed breeze and the suns sharp glare on my skin.
What happens when waiting for the women!

This may all seem really negative but don’t worry I’m getting to the good part. So above all of that, what I see when I look around is normal people going through the struggles of everyday life just like me and you, but I see them doing it gracefully by getting up every day and doing a job, any job, anything that can bring them any money in, for me that’s admirable! I see a community packed full of different cultures, religions and personalities but it all works so well together as the people here are so friendly and welcoming. They love to wave and say “Dasiba” which mean good morning in Dagbani. Every night I go to my local shop to get a drink and stand for about 20 minutes each time just speaking to the shop owner about his day and any topics that can be spoken about, the people are so easy to talk to and get along with. What I hear is the laughter of the women on the streets all making food, usually the laughter can be at us UKV’s trying to speak Dagbani, but it’s all just fun. I smell the many different spices and flavours of food rushing through my nose as I travel down each street. I then get to taste the various new foods that are offered here, a favourite of mine is bean stew and yams! Then sometimes as a treat the women who sells watermelon will come to the office and obviously I have to have some, then it’s like there’s a little bit of home here. I feel the hot rays of the sun cleansing my skin and slowly but surely bronzing me, under the many layers of sun cream I apply! The cool refreshing breeze that comes with riding the bike is exactly the break you need from the heat, and finally, I feel happy to be here, on the other side of the world, experiencing this life changing opportunity!

Me in my community- Sahakpalugu


No comments:

Post a Comment